Thought Process

Little pulses of activity in the CPU of a Thoughtprocessor. Battery not included.

 
Message board

The Boss is here!!!

Superstar's super line: Pera ketta odane chumma adhurudhilla!

Releasing on June 15: Sivaji, The Boss

Calvin quote unquote
Calvin: I'm a simple man, Hobbes.
Hobbes: You?? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear powered car that could turn into a jet with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles!
Calvin: I'm a simple man with complex tastes.
Listening to...
Cheeni Kum
If you think that sounds familiar, try listening to the Tamil song below!
Mouna Ragam
Reading...
'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', by Douglas Adams
Writing...
Prose and Verse
Thought Process Tumblr
Counting...
Watching...
American Idol, Heroes, Seinfeld, FRIENDS, Koffee with Karan, Grey's Anatomy
I feel like...
...books, coffee, beanbag - in short, feel like being lazy..er..lazier!
Discovering...
blogchaat - feast for thought
Ugadi Subhakankshalu!
Wednesday, March 29, 2006
First things first - I'm going home for the holidays!!!
Result: I'm way too excited to fix the critical bugs in my queue (I've always wondered what's with the spelling of 'queue'!!!).

Second things second - I'm going home for the holidays flying Air Deccan (for the first time, mind you).
Result: I've heard contradictory things about flying Air Deccan. Most said it's ok, nothing to worry about. One said it's really dangerous 'coz their flights are under-maintained and some dont even have a licence to fly! Well, I'll know by midnight today (when I'm supposed to land in Chennai). I'm tempted to write something crappy like 'If I don't make it: It's been a great journey on this blogging circuit, thanks guys for making it so good!" - but I refrain from making pessimistic comments before I travel. Wish me bon voyage, would ya?!

Third things third - I'm going home for the holidays flying Air Deccan to meet my folks on Ugadi!
Result: Happy Ugadi everyone!!!

Fourth things fourth - We watched Bluffmaster yesterday and I fell in love with Abhishek Bachchan. But Aishwarya Rai can rest in peace 'coz I'm married to a wonderful guy already. :-)
Result: Everyone, if you haven't watched it yet, go watch 'Bluffmaster'. And hey, Priyanka Chopra was ok too. Boman Irani rocked. And, Nana Patekar! My god, when did we have such good actors all at the same time in Indian cinema (excluding Mohanlal movies - they always have big stars)!

Now to the main topic of this post - Ugadi! Also, Yugadi - Yuga + Adi - Beginning of a new age. (Celebrated this year on March 30)

7560-001-04-1062

Have I told you I like Ugadi more than Diwali or Sankranti? Yep, me loves it. Me loves the Ugadi Pachchadi and the mangoes and the yummy things that Mum makes at home. Me loves going to the Telugu Samiti programmes in the evening, spend an evening entirely surrounded by Telugu - it was a big deal then 'coz we were in Trichy surrounded by Tamil!

The Ugadi Pachchadi I made turned out sweet last year! :-) So was my year, actually (touch wood). There is a belief that the way the pachchadi turns out is how your year would turn out to be. So..for all those interested (I don't believe there would be many, but still...) here's how you make the Ugadi Pachchadi.

Ingredients
Raw Mango - 1/2 of a medium size mango. Julienne or chopped to small pieces.
Tamarind
Black Pepper (coarsely ground)
Banana
Jaggery
Neem flowers (yep, you need 'em for sure! No replacements!)

Optional Ingredients
Honey
Other fruits

Process:
Soak the tamarind in water for 10-15 mins. As to the quantity of tamarind, a rough estimate would be 1/4th of the size of a golf ball. (I bet this recipe is one of its kind if it expects you to have seen how big a golf ball is!). Add the jaggery to this and mix properly so the jaggery melts completely in the tamarind water (remove tamarind pieces after extracting all the juice). Add the mango pieces, fruits, sprinkle black pepper, neem flowers and mix. The consistency can be thick like a chutney (add more banana and less water to the tamarind) or not-so-thick like payasam (more water with tamarind).

Ugadi Pachchadi ready! :-)

Simple, wasn't it? It's not mandatory to use all the above ingredients or use the above only. I'll tell you the significance of each and you can 'experiment' with it! The predominant tastes are sweet (theepi - jaggery, banana), sour (pulupu - tamarind), hot (kaaram - pepper) and bitter (chedhu - neem flowers). (I think I'm missing a flavor - is it vagaru? Telugu folks out there, inputs please!) The importance of Mango lies in the fact that this is that time of the year when you start to get cute green mangoes on most mango trees. You should probably know, this is also the time of the year when the neem tree starts to flower! So..its a mix of all the new things that come up around you and all the tastes symbolizing all the different emotions you go through in a new year.

There are lots of other things that come with Ugadi - Panchanga Shravanam (listening to the panchangam to see how the year would be for each zodiac sign), singing 'Maa telugu talli ki' (that's like the anthem of Telugu!), having umpteen flavors of the same ugadi pachchadi at a different friend/neighbor's place - it's such a cute festival, isn't it? No big brouhaha like Diwali or Sankranti!

So me off to Chennai to eat my Ammamma's Ugadi Pachchadi (among other yummies!)

And before I go -

Andhariki naa hardika Nutana Samvatsara Subhakankshalu! :-)

Wish you all a very happy and prosperous New Year, folks! May you all have a great year ahead filled with all the best things life has to offer!

P.S: If you actually tried out the Ugadi Pachchadi, tell me how it turned out! :-)

Labels: ,

posted by Priya Arun @ 10:00 AM  
8 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Introducing...

Name: Priya Arun
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Past Scribbles
Skeletons in my closet
Click Me!
Odds and Ends

Add to Technorati Favorites

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.

 Subscribe

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Credits

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© Thought Process Template by Isnaini Dot Com