Thought Process

Little pulses of activity in the CPU of a Thoughtprocessor. Battery not included.

 
Message board

The Boss is here!!!

Superstar's super line: Pera ketta odane chumma adhurudhilla!

Releasing on June 15: Sivaji, The Boss

Calvin quote unquote
Calvin: I'm a simple man, Hobbes.
Hobbes: You?? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear powered car that could turn into a jet with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles!
Calvin: I'm a simple man with complex tastes.
Listening to...
Cheeni Kum
If you think that sounds familiar, try listening to the Tamil song below!
Mouna Ragam
Reading...
'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', by Douglas Adams
Writing...
Prose and Verse
Thought Process Tumblr
Counting...
Watching...
American Idol, Heroes, Seinfeld, FRIENDS, Koffee with Karan, Grey's Anatomy
I feel like...
...books, coffee, beanbag - in short, feel like being lazy..er..lazier!
Discovering...
blogchaat - feast for thought
Cafeteria a.k.a Country
Tuesday, May 29, 2007
There's a big LCD TV in the cafeteria at my workplace. TataSky enabled, really funky.

The problem ('coz everything I write about is a 'problem' at some level), then, is the programmes we get to watch on that TV during our time spent in the cafeteria. If I happen to be there for breakfast some days (woe to ye if you judge me on my breakfast-making habits), I'm faced with either Tom & Jerry or on unluckier days, Himesh Reshammiya. The remote control is always absconding. On second thoughts, maybe that's just me.

During lunch hours, one is blessed by some mundane Hindi news channel, as opposed to the umpteen English news channels that can be viewed. News channels are safe bets when it comes to a TV in a public place 'coz it's very generic in nature. Unlike the saas-bahu soaps or, well, Himesh Reshammiya's nasal tones. My issue with Hindi news channels? Nothing in particular, just that it's too local and reminds one of cheap tabloids where the front page is dedicated to the pathbreaking news that a certain third rate actress was found in the company of a certain fourth rate actor in some fifth rate place. This, when bomb blasts rip my city apart and the culprits are still at large. This, when Aung San Suu Kyi's detention has been extended by one more year by the military government of Myanmar. This, when diplomatic wars are being fought across countries which vaguely gives one the fear that Nostradamus might just hit the bull's eye with his predictions.

But my rant is not about Hindi news channels. My rant is with the fact that I go to that cafeteria almost every day for my lunch and not once have I actually fished out the remote control from its hiding place and changed the channel to something that can be viewed by the majority. Ok, kidding, change the channel to something that can be viewed by me.

And as I sat there today having my lunch, hearing my colleagues and myself ranting about the stupid channel, it hit me that the state of the cafeteria is, sadly, the state of our country. I know to crib and cry about being made to watch stupid channels, but I rarely go for that remote control to change it. A lot of us know to crib and cry about the state of our country, but very few actually do something to change it. I can tolerate Tom & Jerry, but not the cheap news channels. Just like I can tolerate some politician making money out of fodder, but not politicians/rich-buggers escaping the law just because they have money and power.

Tomorrow I'm going to change the channel if I don't like what I'm seeing.

If someone has a problem with that, I can always chuck the remote into the sambhar that's floating in the oil. And then the entire world will watch what I want them to watch. *evil laughter follows*



P.S: Updates on my blog could become irregular for the next few weeks. I have deadlines to meet and most times miss, books to read, movies to watch - in short, a life to live. And this time around, reality ruins my virtual life. Bear with me, dear readers. And enjoy the peace and calm in this space while it lasts. One is tempted to use cliches like 'the calm before the storm', but one refrains.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Priya Arun @ 2:03 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At May 30, 2007 9:53 AM, Blogger Harish said…

    RDB revisited. That's the spirit.

    Tomo u march right along, grab that remote, and switch that bloody TV to a universal channel. Trust me, FTV would make u the most popular person at office :D

     
  • At May 30, 2007 3:32 PM, Blogger Ryan said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At May 30, 2007 3:33 PM, Blogger Ryan said…

    Very true...

    YOu've got the power!!!!

    great things begin from humble begininngs!! in ur case its changing the channel!!!

     
  • At May 30, 2007 3:55 PM, Blogger Pingu said…

    LOL
    Great post! :D
    Here's
    my rant on news channels...


    nd don't take too long a break..do cum bck soon!

     
  • At May 31, 2007 1:10 PM, Blogger Priya Iyer said…

    yeah, i agree with you...some of the news channels are pathetic!:-(
    so, did you finally change the channel?;-)

     
  • At May 31, 2007 2:26 PM, Blogger Priya Arun said…

    Harish - guess what? another lunch and still the same hindi news channel. Im thinkin' suicide :-(

    Sharan - *start shouting* BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL! I HAVE THE POWERRRRRR!!!!!! *stop shouting* phew ;-) btw, y u always put 2 2 comments and delete 1? :-?

    Pingu - Yes, we were channeling each others spirits, me thinks. well, its not exactly a break (you guys are not that lucky), but I'll be doin' a Houdini once in a while :-)

    Priya - :-( No, I didnt. I was too hungry to even watch the TV so ate and came out :-(

     
  • At May 31, 2007 5:31 PM, Blogger Itchingtowrite said…

    hey go ahead and change.. everyone will bless u and will enjoy their food better... mne too lamenting that worldspace in my office plays the same station everyday all time even if the most idiotic stuff is going on. why cant they put some good hindi numbers??? even tamil - i dont mind
    thanks for delurking on my blog. the fiction sereies will happen every morning. do visit

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Introducing...

Name: Priya Arun
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Past Scribbles
Skeletons in my closet
Click Me!
Odds and Ends

Add to Technorati Favorites

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.

 Subscribe

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Credits

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© Thought Process Template by Isnaini Dot Com